Get Your Tickets Now!
Proudly sponsored by Creative Waco’s AMP Grant
If you’d like to learn about the process to be prepared for next year…
Wild Imaginings is committed to providing a productive and inspiring space for emerging playwrights to see their works produced. Wild Imaginings will accept all plays that meet our basic criteria and eligibility. Playwrights are responsible for going over all information in this document and verifying their eligibility before submitting their work.
- To be considered for inclusion in the festival, work must be submitted on or before 11:59 pm, April 1st, 2020.
- Participants must include the completed playwright information form (available for download at the bottom of the page) when submitting their work. The entrance fee of $25 must also be paid before the above date.
- Works must be the original work of the submitting playwright(s), and they must be the sole owner(s) of any existing copyright.
- Works must be a full-length drama, comedy, or book of a musical, with intermission preferred. If there is no intermission, then the script should be a minimum of 75 minutes, keeping in mind that action will be read, so this time minimum should encompass the dialogue rather than the assumption of prolonged action.
- Works may include sections of dialogue in other languages, however the majority of text must be in English.
- While there is no minimum page requirement, scripts numbering more than 120 pages will not be read.
- Work must be previously unproduced.
Playwrights must be a legal resident of the state of Texas who is over the age of 18. Collaborative submissions are accepted however playwrights should keep in mind that submissions are limited to one per author.
Script Submission Guidelines
Scripts, along with the playwright information form, must be emailed to Trent Sutton, the Artistic Director of Wild Imaginings, at email@example.com no later than 11:59pm on April 1, 2020.
You may also contact Trent with any questions prior to this time, but do so well enough in advance that they may be answered prior to the deadline. Any scripts submitted after the above date will not be considered.
Document Formatting Criteria
- Legibly typed 12-point font in standard play script format with 1′′ margins
- No indication of authorship on any of the pages (“blinded”)
- Submitted as a single PDF—one file only. No hard copies accepted
- Page 1: cover page with play title only; also, insert this disclaimer: This script is copyright protected and may not be reproduced, distributed, or disseminated without the prior written permission of the author.
- Page 2: brief synopsis of play (200-word maximum), as well as a setting and cast list that includes each character’s name, age, and brief description
- All pages numbered
- Characters’ names centered above dialogue and in all caps
- Stage directions must be indicated in italics
- Intermission indicated, if applicable
- Last page indicated with “Fin” or “End”
- If submitted work is the book of a musical, it must be in libretto formatting (i.e. capitalized song lyrics)
- The entrance fee is $25.
- This may be paid online at any point before Apr 1, 2020. If you go to the Donate button on the home page of the website, simply select the amount of $25. Your donation will be considered your entry fee!
- If for any reason you are unable to pay in this way, or have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that an alternative arrangement may be made.
The Epiphanies New Works Festival is committed to the development of new dramatic work that is theatrically innovative and has literary merit. Wild Imaginings believes in exploration, experimentation, and pushing the boundaries of what theatre can be, as well as the impact that theatre can have on the communities in which it is performed. Rather than rephrasing stories that have already been told, we are seeking unique voices and original stories that engage the imaginations of our audience and offer challenging new perspectives.
Explanation of Process
Epiphanies is a process designed by Wild Imaginings to provide new playwrights with the space and opportunity to receive constructive feedback from industry experts, hear their words spoken aloud, and workshop their plays into a polished final product. Playwrights will submit their works to Wild Imaginings by April 1st.
All works will be read by a minimum of three judges who will then deliberate and choose eight semifinalists to be invited to Waco over the course of May for table readings. Each semifinalist will have one month from the date of their table read to make any edits they desire. Revised scripts will again be reviewed by multiple judges and four finalists will be selected for the New Works Festival by August 1st.
The New Works Festival will take place from September 18th-20th, 2020. The playwright is responsible for the cost and arrangements for transportation to and from Waco and accomodation. The weekend will begin with a panel of guest speakers open to the public and give the playwrights the opportunity to meet. Saturday and Sunday will be comprised of the rehearsal and performance of staged readings open to the public. A panel of judges will be in attendance at each reading and the winner, whose work will be included as a fully staged production in Wild Imaginings’ upcoming season, will be chosen following the final performance Sunday night.
- Submission Deadline: April 1
- Semifinalists Selected: May 1
- Table Readings Completed by: June 1
- Final Scripts Due: one month after table reading
- Finalists Selected: August 1
- New Works Festival: September 18-20
Download the Playwright Information Form here to fill out and email along with your play script!
Here is all the information from the site available for download. And always let us know if you have any questions!